Wednesday, June 1, 2011

How to Modify Your Stock Muffler, Part 1

First off, here's my bike pre-mod; a 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. Looks great, sounds wimpy. I don't have a recording of it, but you can find one on youtube. Think of a very muffled weed whacker. This mod helped with that a lot, and cost me about $40.

Start here and remove the chrome cover in the front (two screw, a clamp on the pipe, and a clamp on the inlet to the muffler body.

The rear beauty ring comes off by removing the five socket-head hex screws:

Next loosen the front clamp and slide it forward.

Remove the hanger bolt:

Pull the muffler off:

Cut the back end of the muffler off (motorized band saw is nice - I got the one shown at Harbor Freight for about $70):
(Yes I'm missing the end of a finger.)

Pull out the guts:

There will be this little baffle attached to the bottom (below). I got it out by using a metal chisel through the muffler inlet and giving a few good blows with a hammer to the welds on each side. I then used a punch through the inlet to beat all around the edge of the baffle until it came out. I should have gotten some pictures from the other end (too late now)

2 comments: